- Why Should You Increase Your Vocabulary
- Tips For Expanding Your Vocabulary
- How To Develop A Better Vocabulary
- Why Develop A Wide Vocabulary?
- "Improve Your Vocabulary": Meaning And Importance
- Towards A Better Vocabulary For Lawyers
- Ways To Improve Your Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Flash Cards
- The Importance Of A Good Business Vocabulary
- Build Your Vocabulary With The Merriam-Webster Vocabulary-Builder
- An Introduction To "Vocabulary"
- Compare Vocabulary Software
- Use Powerful Words
- The Advantages Of Vocabulary Software
- Test Your Vocabulary
- An Exercise For Improving Your Vocabulary
- Build Your Vocabulary
- Business Vocabulary Words
- Power Words
- Improve Communication Through Vocabulary Development
- Online Vocabulary Builders
- Read To Improve Vocabulary
- Select The Right Words
- Vocabulary And Word Knowledge
- Books To Improve Vocabulary
- Expand Vocabulary
- Expand Your Vocabulary
- Improve Vocabulary Online
- Improve Vocabulary
- Increase Vocabulary
- Learn Vocabulary
- Learning Vocabulary
- Software To Teach Vocabulary
- Ultimate Vocabulary Software
- Vocabulary For Business
- Word Power
Memory Improvement Articles
- Simple Ways to Improve Your Memory
- Things that Make it Hard to Improve Your Memory
- Reasons Why You Need To Increase Your Memory
- How to Improve Memory in 15 Minutes a Day
- Improved Memory - Its Uses and Advantages
- Online Memory Courses or Memory Software: Which is Better?
- Practical Yet Effective Memory Improvement Techniques
- The Pros and Cons of Memory Courses
- Top 5 Techniques for Phenomenal Memory Skills
- What to Look for in Memory Improvement Courses What to Look for in Memory Improvement Courses
- All About Omega 3 and Memory Improvement
- Exciting Ways To Improve Your Memory
- Hints You Need To Improve Your Memory
- How To Choose The Best Memory Program For You?
- Increase Memory Permanently
- Memory Techniques Schools Use
- Memory Software Programs - How They Help Boost Memory
- Newest Resources For Memory Improvement
- Things To Learn To Improve Your Memory
- Ways to Increase Memory Need Not Be Expensive
- 3 Fresh Ways To Increase Memory
- Common Contents of a Memory Improvement CD
- Enjoyable Memory Improvement Exercises
- Examples of Memory Improvement Tools
- Get Your Memory Skills Back With These Steps
- How to Avoid Brain Trauma and Improve Your Memory
- Tip to Improve Memory: How to Remember Locations
- Memory Programs Comparable to Brainetic
- Photographic Memory is Just at Arms Reach
- Revolutionary Ways to a Phenomenal Memory
- 7-Speed Reading
Increase your reading speed with 7-Speed Reading
- Ultimate Vocabulary
Build your vocabulary with Ultimate Vocabulary
- Ultimate Spelling
Spell better with Ultimate Spelling
Check your grammar with StyleWriter
Improve your grammar with with Write101's tutorials
- Gifts for lawyers
Large range. Ships worldwide. Order online at For Counsel
|Business Vocabulary Words|
TipIf you seriously want to build your business vocabulary, we highly recommend you try the popular vocabulary-building software, Ultimate Vocabulary*. Click "success edition" at Ultimate Vocabulary for more details.
Language is a very important aspect in business. Clear and precise use of language is necessary for comprehension of ideas, development and execution of plans, analysis of results, and more. Having an extensive knowledge of business vocabulary words gives you a great advantage in a variety of situations.
‘Business vocabulary’ and ‘business words’ are terms that are widely used by corporate employees rather than linguists. No precise definition exists as to which words and expressions are part of the corporate vocabulary, and which are not; nor is such a definition necessary. You can consider the words and phrases that you encounter and use mainly at your work place and for official communication, as part of the business vocabulary.
The corporate world develops and maintains words, expressions, and even a style of language, that is ideal in its dominion. And apart from this general vocabulary that can be used in any corporate environment, specific businesses develop their own terminologies, technical and nontechnical, to deal with their specific needs. ‘Business policy has a tendency for jargon that delineates and isolates the field from the uninitiated,’ (Leontiades, M 1982, p. 45).
Knowledge of business vocabulary words and phrases is important for communicating with your colleagues. It will help you identify yourself with your coworkers, and prevent you from sounding out of place. Here are two examples to clarify the idea. At your office, the statement, ‘We’ve got a project off the ground,’ sounds more like you're one of the team than the statement, ‘We’ve started a project.’ Similarly, if a project doesn’t go well, you have to ‘pull the plug on the project,’ rather than ‘abandon the project,’ or ‘end the project.’
To make matters more difficult, the corporate vocabulary keeps changing as expressions once in vogue become old-fashioned and out of use, and new expressions take their place. You have no choice but to learn constantly the changes in the usage of the idiomatic words and phrases at your place of work. ‘Certain terms and trends are more popular at one time than another. You may find it helpful to include these "buzzwords" in your plan. As you do your research, keep track of the terms and practices that are currently "hot" with investors or industry leaders,’ (Abrams, R 2003, p. 39).
You can learn, and keep yourself updated always, of the ever changing trends in the use of business vocabulary words, by employing the normal methods you use to build your vocabulary, with an emphasis on emerging business phrases. And it’s not necessary or even practical to know all expression and words currently in use. It is enough just to have a good, comprehensive knowledge of the commonly used terms.
Abrams, R 2003, The Successful Business Plan: Secrets and Strategies, 4th edn, The Planning Shop, Palo Alto, CA.
Leontiades, M 1982, 'The Confusing Words of Business Policy,' Academy of Management Review, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 45-48.